Thursday, February 5, 2009

Asking for Advice

My sister-in-law did this on her blog and I thought it was a great idea. I'd like to ask you to give me advice about the best things to do in New York City. We are taking a family trip there in May and since I've never been I want to know where to go and what to see. Also, if you have any secrets to keeping the cost down, I'd love to hear those too. Thanks!

6 comments:

Kasey Van Tassell said...

New York is alot like Chicago...lots of tall buildings(Empire), broadway(Les Mis), and cold & windy. The big difference and my favorite was the Statue of Liberty! But it wasn't open to go inside so I was bummed about that. I went to the square on New Years, but the ball was so small and it was so cold again...it was only worth it to say I'd been there. Now if you are making stops on the way from Chicago...there might be some cool things not to miss out on like Niagra and some Church History sights.

Natalie said...

Really yummy shakes...http://www.shakeshack.com/

Serendipity wasn't so great. Did you know that each person has to spend a minimum amount there? That was a total turn off to me...

There is a little fast food type restaurant called Peanut Butter and Co. They just serve different types of peanut butter sandwiches...it is south of Washington Square Park I think. http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/

Man...I'm kind of embarrassed I'm only talking about food...

Then there is this sandwich shop, Cosi. Their sandwiches were amazing. I think I had the roasted turkey with brie. Really really amazing sandwiches. You've got to go! http://www.getcosi.com/

SAM and RACHEL said...

first i want to add to the food list...
dessert/pasty shops with yummy cheese cake....(i dont know if i will ever loose my baby fat for this reason)

i konw we dont know each other real well (i'm adams sister)....but my husband and i (and baby) will be living on long island for the entire summer....
we wont be very experienced tourist yet in may but we will be around if you need help or anything....
probly even an extra bedroom if that would help in keeping costs down....

also....ignore kasey....it shouldn't be cold in may....when i went NYC it was hot (i have been twice) but not muggy....lots of buildings to create shade....

and if you like to see funny people do dumb things....just go people watching for a while in central park....

Anonymous said...

The few things in NYC that would make the trip worth traveling to for me would be the twin tower memorial site, the statue of liberty, as well as the Broadway. But I've never been there so have fun. Also while you live in Virginia I think you should definitely do some traveling around the area since you are so close to DC. Also Gettysburg is cool if you get to PA.

Robert and Kristen said...

Hey Mel,
What broadway play are you guys going to see? I tried to get tickets to Wicked but the "cheap" tickets are all gone for the days we are there. We might end up doing the lottery but we will have to see. I was just wondering what you guys wanted to see and we might just go with you.
Kristen

Brenda said...

We bought a hop-on-hop off bus tour from one of the guys selling them in Times Square. There were three routes (you can do them all)--uptown, downtown, and Brooklyn. We thought the tour was great and we could get on and off wherever for three days. We took the Brooklyn route in the evening and it was great to see the city from the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset. With buying the pass we got a free 90 boat ride around the lower part of Manhattan island--it didn't stop at the Statue of Liberty island, but there isn't much to see there since you can't go to the top anymore (my opinion). When we got to the boat place we paid an extra $10 to do the 3 hour boat ride around the island.
**Go to the Today Show at Rockefeller Center at 7 am. It is a lot of fun! We saw Will Smith and James McAvoy.
**If you have to get a hotel, check on Craigslist (or post a wanted ad). We got an awesome, gorgeous apartment just south of Central Park for cheap.
**Definitely go to Central Park--see if there is a free concert in the park while you are there. Definitely worth it.
**Go to hole in the wall delis on the street. You can never go wrong--everything is yummy!
**Take trains in from the airport--taxis are crazy expensive. We flew into Long Island Airport (if you are doing that, let me know, and I will tell you how we got into town.)
Hope everything is going well at DOS!! Miss you!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Blog Archive