Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Last Days in Chicago

It's been a while since I've posted, so there will be quite a few coming over the next few days. A lot has happened since last time: we've left Chicago and now live in Alexandria; we visited New York City; and Ryan graduated. So to update you all, I'm going to start in order of these events and take you back almost 3 weeks ago.

My last day of work was also the day that Ryan's parents, Susan and Carl, and little sister, Amy, came into town. They came for his graduation, but we also took them to see some of the sites of Chicago. The first thing they did Saturday (May 16th) morning was tour the Robie House.
I just finished reading "The Wright 3" a fictional book about 3 kids that discover the secrets of the Robie House and wish I'd been able to go on the Wright 3 Tour. It's an amazing house.

Next, we all went to the Museum of Science and Industry.

My favorite was the Fairy Castle. Everything is miniature and real (they even have a miniature gun that actually shoots!). The farming area was a little unrealistic, I mean really, who milks a cow from the back unless you want to get kicked and pooped on!?! But I guess it's a good place for city kids to learn about agriculture.

Ryan's graduation was on Sunday, but I will do a new post about that later. On Monday, May 18th, we went to downtown Chicago for the last time. We went to Navy Pier and rode on the rides (one of my favorite things to do). Susan, Carl and Amy went on the Architectural Cruise down the Chicago river.
We also went to some of the more famous places in the park, like the Faces of Chicago and Cloud Gate. It was a great time.

Next, we went to the Art Institute in Chicago.
It's a wonderful place that has some really famous paintings and other art work, recognize any? It was fun to go there one last time with Ryan's family.

After all of this, we were still able to go on a bike ride on the Lake front trail. I loved living by the lake and being able to walk, run, and bike right next to it. We went to another of my favorite places in Hyde Park, the Osaka Garden. It's a beautiful Japanese garden on the Wooded Island.

2 comments:

Leeah said...

Why don't you stuff a few billion things into your last couple days there. I am jealous of the adventure you are having. I am excited to hear how you like it in VA!!

Laynalou3 said...

Awwww....goodbye Chicago! It seems like we left just a few weeks ago. Time flies when you're trying to get settled into a new place. Best of luck in VA and with Ryan's new job. I'm excited to see your new posts from there.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Blog Archive