Mr. Rogers was a favorite TV show of mine growing up. He always had great stories and I loved going with the train to the 'puppet' world. I really did want to live by Mr. Rogers and join his neighborhood of make believe. This was entertainment at it's fullest:)For years after, my dad would often wake me up singing the Mr. Rogers theme song:
It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood,
A beautiful day for a neighbor.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...
It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,
A neighborly day for a beauty.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...
I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.
So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?
Won't you please,
Won't you please?
Please won't you be my neighbor?
Mr. Rogers, and then my dad, taught me that neighbors are suppose to be... well, neighborly! But you know what? I don't think Mr. Rogers ever lived in Chicago, especially at the same time as the President-Elect. I have nothing against Mr. President-Elect, but life in Chicago has definitely changed with him around. It's bad enough that I have to deadbolt my door, chain my bike and check my purse and pockets after getting off the bus, but now I have to live next door to Obama's gym! Let's take this morning for example.
I went to go catch my regular 8:14 bus to work, when I noticed that there were at least a dozen secret service vehicles around and half as many police cars. The President-Elect was working out in the building next door to mine (my neighbor). So my bus stop was moved to around the corner away from the secret service. Not really a problem, but then there was a miscommunication from the bus driver and I ended up missing the 8:14 and 8:21 bus. There were a lot of students and staff that this affected, but we did get to talk to the secret sevice guys for a bit. Too bad they were joking when they offered to give us a ride! I finally caught the 8:28 bus and got to work 15 min. late. Oh, well. I guess it makes for a good story.
I wonder why they're called the secret service because they are anything but secret?
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...
It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood,
A neighborly day for a beauty.
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?...
I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.
So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.
Since we're together we might as well say:
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?
Won't you please,
Won't you please?
Please won't you be my neighbor?
Mr. Rogers, and then my dad, taught me that neighbors are suppose to be... well, neighborly! But you know what? I don't think Mr. Rogers ever lived in Chicago, especially at the same time as the President-Elect. I have nothing against Mr. President-Elect, but life in Chicago has definitely changed with him around. It's bad enough that I have to deadbolt my door, chain my bike and check my purse and pockets after getting off the bus, but now I have to live next door to Obama's gym! Let's take this morning for example.
I went to go catch my regular 8:14 bus to work, when I noticed that there were at least a dozen secret service vehicles around and half as many police cars. The President-Elect was working out in the building next door to mine (my neighbor). So my bus stop was moved to around the corner away from the secret service. Not really a problem, but then there was a miscommunication from the bus driver and I ended up missing the 8:14 and 8:21 bus. There were a lot of students and staff that this affected, but we did get to talk to the secret sevice guys for a bit. Too bad they were joking when they offered to give us a ride! I finally caught the 8:28 bus and got to work 15 min. late. Oh, well. I guess it makes for a good story.
I wonder why they're called the secret service because they are anything but secret?

4 comments:
I liked the guy with the binoculars sitting in the black suburban.
WOW - my life must be quite dull, I've never seen the secret service. You have some great stories to tell your kids!
Tara
I wish my neighbor was Obama instead the crazy neighbors I have that get drunk and start destroying our place. They freak me out. I do believe it must get pretty old to have Obama and his secret service around.
Wow, what neat stories and experiences. It's interesting and cool I think. So you're moving to D.C. too?
Post a Comment