Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Think a happy thought

"I'm not young enough to know everything" - James Matthew Barrie (author of Peter Pan)

Today is my birthday! I turn 26 and really can't believe it. But I can believe that I'm no longer young enough to know everything. I find myself wondering what happened to the days when I knew what I wanted to be, where I wanted to live, and why I wanted to grow up. Now that the choices are upon me, I don't have any answers. I don't want to grow up.

"The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another" -James M. Barrie

But I did grow up. I moved away from home, graduated college, and got married. I found my own path and took it without looking back. I accomplished some of my childhood dreams, while others were lost along the way. But now I have new dreams and goals. I've found that I can change my mind and because I am grown up, I have the ability to actually make those dreams a reality. "The most useless are those who never change through the years." -J. M. Barrie. Yes, I did grow up.

“Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves.” -J. M. Barrie

And the longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Happy thoughts are not just for children. There are a lot of things I can't change in life, but I can always change my attitude. Instead of focusing on the bad, what I'm lacking, or my inadequacies, I'm going to stay focused on what matters: my eternal happiness and joy! I found my path when I married Ryan, now I just have to stay the course. Just think of it as flying to Neverland: Second star to the right (the celestial kingdom) and Straight on 'til morning (the morning of the 2nd coming)!

"Dreams do come true, if we only wish hard enough.You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.” - J. M. Barrie

Even though I'm now 26, I still have a lot of growing up to do. Which means I still get to dream! And I will be thinking happy thoughts.

9 comments:

Kasey Van Tassell said...

Well, I was gonna be the first to wish you a happy birthday on your blog, but it looks like you beat me to it. Happy Birthday anyway.

Melanie said...

Jennifer was the first before anyone, it's just on the earlier post.

Ali Andrus said...

Happy birthday! And congrats on Ryan's new job, very exciting :)

Adam VT said...

Happy Birthday! By the way Kasey asked me if I knew what today was and I told her it was your birthday. She was impressed that I knew that without being prompted, you should be impressed too.

Robert and Kristen said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry we didn't get a card off to you! We will think of you as we are singing to Brandon!

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cassie said...

Happy Birthday! I love your thoughts on growing up. They've inspired me.

P.S. Congrats on Ryan's job offer.

Monica said...

Happy happy birthday! I hope that it was a really good birthday for you. You deserve it! :) By the way, happy thoughts rock, and you are never too old to dream, and dream big. :)

Tara said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great one!
Tara

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Blog Archive